Thursday, September 11, 2008

Errold Update and Knitting Blues

First, this is how far I've gotten on Errold's Grove.

I'm done with Chart A, except for the part where I can repeat the last motif several times. I thought I had repeated it the extra three times, but apparently either MMario's math is incorrect or I cannot count repeats. I have approximately two more motif repeats (eight rows) and some fudging to do before I will have 78 stitches per side (plus the corners).

Update: Morenna Math strikes again....if you add two stitches per round, it takes FOUR rounds/rows to add eight stitches, not eight rounds/rows. DOH! Yes, it's true, I can do differential calculus and like it. I cannot, however, do simple 4 function math terribly easily.

My "Blue Period"
Between five and ten years ago, my favorite yarn to buy was something blue. (More recently it's been red or purple, but I digress...) I had great intentions about knitting myself some pretty blue sweaters, but I found myself much better at starting projects than finishing them due to attention span issues or skill deficits.

This is the "Blueberry Sweater". The yarn is Cleckheaton Drop Dead Gorgeous. The color is Blueberries, thus the sweater name. What is amusing about this yarn is that I bought it in two separate states, but managed to get the same dye lot. Of course, it's now a discontinued yarn. I started this sweater following the Seed Stitch Pullover pattern from the book Simply Beautiful Sweaters. Of course, I changed the pattern to knit it in the round, but have no idea how to deal with the sleeves, so quit working on it about halfway up a sleeve since I didn't know how big ot make the top of the sleeve or the armscye. Having read EZ's Knitter's Almanac the other night as bedtime reading, I have begun to ponder the idea of frogging this sweater and re-knitting it as the "Last Minute Sweater" from the December chapter in Knitter's Almanac. This yarn will get me about 2.5 stitches to the inch, which matches the pattern gauge. I cannot think of any compelling reason why I couldn't or shouldn't frog a stalled (and unlikely to ever be finished) project in favor of re-knitting it as something I could and would finish. Can you?

This is the other blue pullover I started knitting years ago. I forget the name of the yarn and I am too lazy at the moment to go look at a yarn label, but it's a pretty superwash wool. The pattern is from a Berocco booklet and is now probably available for free on their website. I think I had to adjust the pattern to take into account my desired stitch gauge. I don't remember why I stopped working on this one, but I have the back done. I'm now debating ripping this one out and knitting myself a Fibonnacci Pullover with it. Or finding another pattern in my stash where I won't have to re-write the pattern to fit this yarn. I may just haul out Ann Budd's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns and see what I can find in there.

Next up: the purple Noro yarn that I've never seen anywhere else, but is dying to also become a sweater for me!

No comments: