Wednesday, May 05, 2010

New Knitter Pics!

As you know, I started teaching my niece to knit before I moved across the country.  My sister then decided to learn too.  To facilitate this whole process, they signed up for some private knitting lessons at Wool and Company in Geneva.  Everybody think it's totally awesome that Niece (age six) has taken to knitting like a duck to water.  She's now featured on their FaceBook page.

When Sis and Niece were at the shop this week, one of the guys at the shop asked Nephew if he wanted to learn to knit. Nephew said he knew how but had trouble handling the needles. The guy (sorry I don't know his name) raced across the store to find a project for Nephew to work on.  The little ditty the guy used to help Nephew remember what to do was hilarious!

Stab him.
Strangle him.
Rip his guts out.
Throw him off the cliff.

Nephew won't be forgetting any time soon.  We've also decided that what Nephew needs is small, short needles.  The longer single point size 8s in the knitting kit are just too big and heavy for him to manipulate easily. He did very well with the much smaller needles that Knit Shop Guy had.  Now Nephew will just have to develop an attention span that last longer than 5 or 6 stitches.

I'm headed to Chicago this weekend. Sis and I will naturally be hitting the yarn shop to see what there is to see and I'll be officially outed for being the instigator of Niece's knitting habit.  With any luck, I should finish Sis' blue socks while I'm there and can leave them with her. I have no clue what I'll use as my return trip portable project.

1 comment:

Carrie Penny said...

I love that little ditty to keep a boy knitting... I think my husband would kill me if I insist on teaching all of our kids to knit though...