Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I Have Fawkes!!

I finished my Fawkes Socks over the weekend. I have not, of course, woven in the ends or washed them. For that matter, I still intend to rip the first sock back to re-do the heel turning according to my preferred turning rather than the pattern directions. Nonetheless, I have a pair of Fawkes.

About 30 minutes after I finished the Fawkes, I finished Boy's first Sock. I don't have a picture of it though since I shipped it off to Boy this morning for a fitting. He'll get it on Friday or Saturday, which is probably not nearly soon enough. I can only hope he'll be mollified by the cookies that are in the box with the Sock. If the fitting goes well, I'll commence sock #2. Fortunately I have most of my notes written down. Except for how many stitches I cast on. *sigh*
(Boy is smart enough to learn how to count stitches though, so all is not lost!)

After finishing the Boy Sock, I commenced to cast on for Bellatrix. While knitting Fawkes, I had rediscovered the pattern for Bellatrix. I thought it was quite suitable for two skeins of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock yarn. The colorway is blue, but rather reminds me of moldy bread, having some grayish areas and some brighter aqua areas. Given that the character Bellatrix was working for He Who Shall Not Be Named, I thought it suitable that a "moldy" colorway be used. On top of that, the pattern uses dropped stitches which gives the appearance that the sock is a bit worn or unravelling. Altogether it's quite a statement of decay and neglect. I like it!

Next up? Queen of Cups in the purple ShiBui sock yarn I bought in May. The Errold's Grove shawl appears to be rather dormant at the moment. Perhaps that will change by the time I'm done with Bellatrix. Then again, I may feel the overwhelming urge to knit the third Monkey Toes Harry Potter-themed pattern, Nagini. I am discovering that socks seem to knit up faster when there is a stitch pattern in them (as opposed to being just ribbing. I think it's the >2 row repeat. I can see myself making progress through the multi-row repeat and it's easy to set a goal of 1-2 repeats per evening. I'm going to have to re-think what my "basic" sock pattern is and include something more complex than ribbing.

3 comments:

Twitchh said...

The Bellatrix yarn is *exactly* the same color as Sully. That's the first thing that leapt into my mind when I first saw the picture. :o)

Carrie Penny said...

I can't wait to see your Bellatrix socks on. I finally found yarn for my Fawkes. I think I will finish those today.

Ruby Louise said...

Awwww....now I want Sully socks! I'll have to think about what Sully socks would look like or if they'd have to be Monsters, Inc. socks. Hmmm.....