I discovered a nasty hole along the side of one of the socks I wore yesterday. I suspect I snagged one on the buckle of my clogs yesterday. I have a vague recollection of that but hadn't thought it pulled hard enough to break the yarn. While examining the hole, I also discovered the heels are getting dangerously thin. :-(
On close examination, the socks probably should have been knit at a tighter gauge. I may rip both socks back to the ankles, then knit back down in a tighter gauge. I suspect that darning the heels of these socks will be futile at the current gauge.
So now I'm celebrating Socktoberfest. I'm using the same brand of yarn in a deep turquoise/jewel tone colorway. I initially intended to knit the very same pattern that sprung the hole (The Through the Loops 2009 Mystery Sock), but have achieved 8 sts per inch on size zero needles and will instead knit a pair of toe up socks from Wendy Johnson's Toe-Up Socks for Everybody. I haven't yet decided between Rosebud and Victory. At the moment, I'm leaning toward Rosebud. I'll make the final decision in another six rounds or so, when the toe is done and I'm ready to start the foot.