Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Spinning Bug Bites!

I don't know exactly why, but I found myself sitting at my wheel last night. I am still working away on the Blue Moon Fiber Arts superwash merino/tencel roving I bought several years ago from The Fold. The color still reminds me of the ocean and mermaids. I'm one small ball of roving away from filling the first bobbin.

When I purchased this roving, I had intended to make a three-ply sock yarn. Once I started to spin it, I thought perhaps a 2-ply lace weight for a shawl. I'm still waffling between the two options. I did split the roving lengthwise before pre-drafting and have labeled each of the smaller chunks. This should make for more-or-less matching colors between the singles and in the plied yarn.

Processing Wool
I'm finally admitting to myself that I'm not going to get all of my fleeces processed myself. I have heard good things about Zeilinger's and, according to their ad in the latest Spin-Off magazine, they're having a processing sale this spring. I'll have to figure out which fleeces to send and whether I want them blended together or processed separately. I am still leaning toward keep the Coopworth fleeces for myself so I can comb them.

No comments: