Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Next Big Knitting Project

I hauled out the Freedom Sweater this evening. It's a lovely dark charcoal gray and would be wonderful to wear with the current icy/rainy weather we're having. The pattern was designed by Jacqueline Olsen by Amazing Threads. Sadly, Amazing Threads has since reorganized itself and doesn't sell the really cool knitting kits that it used to sell. Now I really wish I'd purchased the Tea Trader's Tunic, even if I wasn't sure it would have been particularly flattering to my figure, or the Sumptuous Cashmere Shawl. Fortunately I did purchase the Cascading Cables kit though I suspect it also won't exactly flatter me. Also fortunately, I tend to wear whatever I like, regardless of how flattering or fashionable it may be.

Now back to the sweater. As you can see I have most of the body and part of one sleeve finished. It's a lovely worsted weight wool and should knit up pretty quickly. The stitch pattern is beaded rib and is one of my favorite basic patterns. I actually use it for most of the socks I knit too. The trouble is that I'm not sure I like the gauge at which this sweater is knit. I'd like a bit more drape to the fabric. I already ripped it all out once and increased the needle size, but I'm still not entirely happy with it. It's not bad, but I don't think it's as nice as it could be. I've been working on this sweater since 1999. I'd like to finish it this year, perhaps even before the end of winter! I suspect I'll end up casting on again with a larger needle to see if I like it better.

On the Subject of Ripping Things Out
I think I'll be tearing out the Arrow Lace Socks. They're absolutely gorgeous, but they no longer hold any magic for me. I can't imagine knitting the second sock even if I finish the first. I think the yarn would rather be something else too, which is probably why it keeps causing me to make errors when I knit (I have knit the heel/ankle area three times now). I think it would like to be a highly textured sock, perhaps Eunny Jang's Bayerische socks. In any event, it definitely doesn't want to be Arrow Lace socks.

Yarn Arrival!
The yarn for my Must Have Cardi arrived earlier this week. I wasn't certain I liked the yarn color initially, but it's growing on me. My first impression was that it was a bit muddy and dark, but now I like it though if it was a shade lighter I wouldn't complain. It's just not worth shipping it back only to find out that I don't like the lighter color as much. This color is a bit like a latte and I think it will look great in my sweater.

Now I just have to get a few more projects out of the way first.

2 comments:

~RaenWa~ said...

I love grey lol I find it somewhat of a comfort color if that makes any sense

Stefaneener said...

I totally applaud your commitment to rippage. There seems to be a tipping point for me, beyond which I find ripping really painful. But good for you for sticking to your ideal gauge.