Saturday, October 18, 2008

Bag Number Two In Progress

I have finally started Candy Corn Bag #2.  I am nearly through the yellow section.  It seems like this one is going faster than the first one, but that doesn't seem quite right.  The second bag needs to be finished this weekend and the I-cord handles done by Monday or Tuesday so I can get the bags sent off to the Niece and Nephew in time for Halloween.

Travel Knitting Decision
The travel knitting I took with me last week was not the Boy Sock after all.  I ended up taking Queen of Cups.  I did finish the gusset decreases and the first repeat down the foot one evening, so that was quite productive.  The second evening, I was too distracted by my thoughts, the phone and the television to work on it.  I think it'll be around 1 1/2 more pattern repeats to finish the foot.  Although this is a patterned sock, rather than a plain ribbed sock, it does seem to go much faster.  I am increasingly convinced that this is a function of having pattern rows to check off.  I don't think there is actually a true time advantage, just a better documentation of progress so it seems faster. I like this apparent time advantage. It does wonders for my motivation and excitement to finish a project.

Pattern Ideas
The pattern ideas continue to spawn in my brain.  I now have several sock, shawl/stole and sweater ideas written down in various degrees of vagueness.  The formal writing up of said pattern ideas is progressing much more slowly.  I have actually only started to write up one pattern, but I also started to test knit it.  Well, I've done the ribbing for a sock pattern.  I stopped when I got to the pattern part.  Just as soon as the Candy Corn Bags are out of the house, I'll get back to it.  With the sock patterns, it seems reasonable to write and test knit one sock a month. The trick will be figuring out where that fits in among all the other things I need to get done.

Next I'll need to figure out if I want to sell the patterns, give some or all of them away for free or just keep them for myself.   At the moment I'm leaning toward offering a couple of patterns for free and selling the rest.  There is already an Etsy shop called Three Fates Fiber, so I'd need to come up with a different shop name, if I wanted to sell there.  I do own the domain threefatesfiber.com, so setting up a shop there is an option, but I like that Etsy already handles the shopping cart and payment stuff.  I guess that will be my thing to think about when I'm knitting this week.

February Lady Sweater
Why is it that I feel compelled to knit this sweater?  I don't think it is particularly attractive.  I don't think I would ever wear it.  I reminds me of something leftover from a rather unfashionable woman's closet from the 1940s/1950s.  Yet I keep asking myself if I have any yarn in my stash which could be turned into one of these things. WHY!?!?!?

1 comment:

Carrie Penny said...

I do that with patterns all the time. I really want to make it, but I will never ever wear it, use it, display it! They either look like fun to make or they look harder or have something in them I have never done before...