Friday, October 24, 2008

Candy Corn Bags Done!

And just in time as I really need to mail them tomorrow if they're going to get to my niece and nephew before Halloween. Update: They went in the mail this morning, along with a box of almond hot chocolate mix for my sister. Mommy needs a treat too!

To recap, I used the Candy Corn Bag pattern by Isela Phelps, with some modifications. First, I used acrylic yarn and did not felt the bags. Rather than using bulky weight yarn, I doubled some worsted weight. Next, I changed the width of the three stripes to more closely reflect the pattern of stripes in actual candy corn. Finally, I failed to read the directions for the handles. Technically there are supposed to be two handles per bag, sewn to the sides like on a standard tote bag. I failed to read the handle directions and made one handle per bag, attached at the ends like a messenger bag. Either way I think it'll tote a goodly amount of candy.

As far as yarn use goes, I'd estimate 300 yards of doubled yarn per bag or 600 yards total for both bags. It was a pretty quick knit. The most tedious part was the last 3 inches of the I-cord on the second bag.

2 comments:

Carrie Penny said...

THEY LOOK GREAT! I am sure they are going to love them!

Morenna said...

Thanks! I was very pleased how they turned out. I look forward to hearing what the kids think.