Saturday, October 25, 2008

Fall Spinning

By popular request, the SpinList has spawned an online spinning guild Yahoo Group called SpinGuild. The first project was recently announced:
MAKE AT LEAST ONE YARN AND UP TO A SERIES OF THREE YARNS THAT EXPRESSES YOUR INTERPRETATION OF "AUTUMN." ALL OF THE YARN TOGETHER SHOULD ADD UP TO ENOUGH YARN TO COMPLETE ONE SMALL PROJECT OF YOUR CHOICE.
I have some lovely Romney/Border Leicester roving I picked up several years ago at the Fleece Festival in Greencastle, IN. It's an orangey-red and old gold color called Autumn Leaves. I have 8 ounces of it left to spin. I have previously spun some of the same colorway in a Romney/Border Leicester/Mohair blend. That batch was made into a 3-ply worsted weight yarn. I think I'll spin the new batch to match the existing yarn. I don't know what I'll do with it. I had initially intended to make myself a sweater, but I doubt I'll end up with enough yarn to do that. Anyway, it's a beautiful color and it really does make me think of Autumn. It's not a terribly creative interpretation of the project goal, but it's what I'm choosing anyway. I'll start the spinning as soon as I get through with the merino/tencel sock yarn already on the wheel.

Next Project Doldrums
Now that I've finished the Candy Corn Bags, I need to figure out what to knit next. Obviously Boy would like me to finish his Boy Socks (and I really should do that). I'm almost halfway down the foot of the first Queen of Cups sock. Errold has been languishing on the coffee table ever since the vacuum cleaner incident. I rather feel like starting something new, but nothing really appeals at the moment. Perhaps I'll just work on the spinning for a while and see what pops into my head.

I have begun to wonder if the end of project doldrums is why I have a bit of an aversion to actually finishing a project. Hmmm......

No comments: