Saturday, February 16, 2008

Mission Accomplished!

I have acquired the size 4 circular needle! I thought I was going to be stymied at first when I perused the rather woefully empty knitting needle section of the local Hobby Lobby. Then I spied the Balene circulars and found a 29" long size 4. Technically the pattern asks for a 32" needle, but I think I can probably squish all the stitches together into 29 inches.

Although I bought the exact yarn called for in the pattern (Jaggerspun Zephyr), I'm terrified I won't have enough yarn. I didn't get individual skeins, you see. I am interested in avoiding the weaving in of ends in lace projects, so I purchased my yarn on a cone. I ordered the same weight as the two skeins would be (4 ounces), which should get me 1260 yards according to the vendor's website. Inside the cone, however, the number 1246 is written. I really really hope that a) this number isn't the actual yardage I received or else is an underestimate or that b) the yarn requirement in the pattern is an overestimate rounding to the next whole skein.

I will also have to learn how to crochet a little bit by the time I get to the end of the pattern. The shawl is finished with a crocheted cast-off, which is what makes those loops on the bottom edge. I'm ok making a crochet chain for a provisional knitted cast on. For something like that, it doesn't really matter how even the crocheting is. For the border of this shawl, I'm going to be a lot more picky about it, since it will be very noticeable if it's uneven. I predict there may be some crochet practice in my future. Fortunately I have my grandma's collection of crochet patterns as well as her knitting patterns.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should be ok on the yardage, but I understand that nervousness. I'n forever weighing skeins and multiplying total numbers of stitches in garments, trying to assure myself that I'm not on the brink of a disaster.