Tuesday, September 09, 2008

The Yarn...She is Fickle

So, overnight the Lace-A-Licious decided it wanted to be the Myrtle Leaf Shawl from Victorian Lace Today and not be knitted into SOTS-3. I can live with that, but then I was a bit vexed because I still want to knit SOTS-3 at the moment and SOTS-3 has continued to insist that it be started SOON.

Fortunately, I have a suitable stash of yarn and of sweaters to be recycled. I found a wool sweater in my "recycle" pile that is a pale, heathered green color with some yellow and brown to it. The color reminds me of the green eyes of a cat and should be lovely as SOTS-3, based on what I've seen of the pattern so far. I spent the evening winding one sleeve into a ball and will hopefully cast on tomorrow evening. I'm not bothering to wash the kinks out of the yarn or to swatch. The yarn is fine enough (lace weight) to probably work up well on a size 4 or a size 5 needle. The kinks in the yarn will help me keep a looser gauge.

I'll leave the Myrtle Leaf Shawl for after I finish SOTS-3 and Errold's Grove. Myrtle will be the most complex-appearing lace project that I've yet knit.

The Adult Sweater Coming Soon
Silly me. I made the mistake of reading EZ's The Knitter's Almanac as my bedtime reading last night. Now I'm trying to decide between making the January Aran Sweater or the December Hurry-Up, Last Minute Sweater. I have a sufficient amount of red worsted weight wool from KnitPicks for either. The blue worsted weight will still become the Fibonacci Pullover. Decisions, decisions.....

What better topic to ponder while I knit, but what to knit next! (This, of course, is absolutely *dangerous* when undertaken while knitting at your favorite yarn shop. Fortunately, my favorite yarn shop is 7 hours away!)

I really ought to just finish the Blueberry Pullover I started several years go. I'm not sure how the sleeves will turn out, but I ought to just bite the bullet and go for it. If the sleeves aren't measured right, I can always rip them out and re-do them. This is what I get for modifying a pattern to fit a substituted yarn, while also re-writing the pattern to knit it in the round. Ann Budd's Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns ought to help me with the details for sleeve measurements. That's it!! I'll use the Blueberry Sweater as a "reward" for finishing SOTS-3 and the new adult sweater as the reward for finishing the Blueberry!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!! Here's hoping my spinning wheel and drum carder don't start talking!!

No comments: